Sunday, July 19, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes on a Sunday Morn...



... with fresh strawberries, maple syrup AND powdered sugar. Man, I really spoiled myself this morning.

For the record, the pancake wasn't really quite that big, as it was made in a mold my mom (SueWho) gave me. Actually this particular mold was the largest of three different sized rings and they all have the same sized hole in the middle so you can fill your pancake stack with goodies. My goody-of-choice was strawberries, obviously. I couldn't decide on syrup or powdered sugar, so I (wisely) did both. It was still huge and really filled me up. I can't believe anyone would need all three rings, but I did make mine pretty thick. It was also practically erupting with juicy blueberries! YUM!

The pancake recipe is the basic pancake recipe from Vegan With A Vengeance, with a lot of frozen blueberries folded in. I found it already posted on the web by someone else, so I am copying and pasting it on to here. But, you should buy the cookbook-- or one of her other ones.

1-1/4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/3 c water
1 to 1-1/4 c plain rice or soy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup

Sift or stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix the remaining ingredients in another bowl. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined, like muffins (you know, a couple of lumps are fine-overmixing results in tough pancakes and tough muffins).

Add oil to a large skillet and heat the skillet over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes. Add batter and cook until the pancake has some bubbles on top and is browned on the bottom. This takes about 4 minutes. Turn pancakes and finish (until bottoms are browned). Repeat until batter is used up. Oil skillet between pancakes or as needed.


She recommends folding in 1 c. of blueberries, but I just dumped in however much I wanted. I also had to use the whole 1 1/4 c. of rice milk (soy in my case) as well as a lot of water because it was so thick.

Top with syrup or whatever you want!

3 comments:

SueWho said...

I am so happy that you have used those pancake molds! And what a yummy looking breakfast - I think I will try that some weekend soon since your dad is always asking for pancakes!

zebeckras said...

Good heavens, that looks SO GOOD. I cannot believe how good that looks. Wow.

And I'm REALLY full at the moment and not even capable of thinking about food. Except for that pancake!

Hey Mom, thought I'd let you know that we use the animal-mold pancake pan you got me for Christmas a couple of years ago. That's actually a very popular item at our house (on the five or six times a year I actually make pancakes, that is). :)

EmLit said...

One day I'm just going to move in with you, Charlotte. I will just show up on your doorstep and expect you to feed me. Phil can contribute, too. You don't have to do all the cooking :p