Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It Is TOO Easy Being Green!!

Well, Kermit was slightly wrong. I'm talking Green as in environment, carbon footprint, etc. But the fact is, green is where it is at. Whether it be green soybeans (Yay!) or green living or green frogs, Kermit needs to just get with the times. Too many people are whining about having to go green when they could just embrace the fact that it's something that has to be done. Then they would find out it's pretty damn easy after all! So folks, give up your SUVs and take the bus or train or ride your bike or walk! Or even just get into your smaller car and drive that for a change.
Getting back to edamame, I just found a recipe for Edamame Hummus . You can check out this recipe at Cooking Light on the internet. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I plan to do just that this weekend. I have leftover frozen green soybeans and I would like to somehow sneak them into my hubby's diet. He'll never know what hit him! Stay tuned for the results.
Now for the running plan update. Today was Day 3 of my 2d week. Earlier this week, notably Day 2 which was Tuesday, I developed some foot pain involving my left foot which I (with help from primary running daughter) concluded had to do with the fact that I was running whilst wearing walking shoes. Last night I bought my first pair ever of running shoes! Today's run (90 seconds followed by 120 seconds of walking for 20 minutes) was uneventful; in other words, I had mild achiness but I think it was residual from Tuesday's run. Those new shoes are so cushioned I feel like I really know what they mean when people say, "I'm gelling," because I was definitely gelling. I know, I'm a dork. So what else is new?
With the help of my daughter who is at home for the summer, I found a couple of very easy ediets recipes that she can throw together for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. One that I actually got to enjoy a little bit of is Baked Tofu with green beans. It simply consists of 4 oz. of Italian Herb baked tofu that is cut into cubes and sauteed in a little olive or canola oil and then tossed with 1-2 cups of steamed green beans. Add a few dried herbs such as oregano and parsley, plus a little balsamic vinegar, and toss all together to make a delicious and satisfying entree. It's so easy and can be whipped up in just a few minutes. Of course, you can substitute any vegetable and even use fresh herbs which always taste so much better anyway. I do love tofu when it is sauteed in a little olive oil, just enough to give it some flavor and a slight crust. Yum! And baked or marinated tofu is even better because it has a flavor that is absolutely delicious!
Tonight I am eating out with a friend, at my favorite Italian restaurant, so no planning or cooking meals until tomorrow. Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

zebeckras said...

This ENTIRE post was ruined for me because you already told me about your new shoes.

I'm joking. ;)

I need to gather up some good recipes for tofu; I have two packages in the pantry and no idea what to do with them, because I just bought them to keep as "staples" and if I don't have a recipe I'm clueless! Tofu is so great b/c it picks up flavours so well, but then if you don't use the right flavourings it's soooooo bland. So I'm afraid to just experiment with it!

EmLit said...

That baked tofu was also really good with broccoli. I'm not sure which I preferred, the green beans or the broccoli. I also think you're right about it being easy to be/go green. I am so tired of hearing people complain and whine about it. One thing that really bothers me is when people whine about recycled toilet paper (which, if you read the Seventh Generation packaging, you will know saves massive amounts of trees) and say, "Ew, I wouldn't use recycled *toilet* paper!" Well, morons, it's not recycled toilet paper, it's toilet paper made from recycled paper. Why would you not buy that? It's probably one of the easiest changes you can make and it has an enormous impact.

Okay, I'm done preaching to the choir. That just bothers me SO MUCH.

Binx said...

Sandra Lee's show is on in the background and it just occurred to me that her entire show is based on the concept of using highly processed, over-packaged, cheap, non-organic, etc. crap in every meal. Way to go, Sandra!